About Our Scholarship
Cheshire's Lights of Hope Scholarship aims to encourage the next generation of volunteers to serve their community to continue spreading the message of hope and encouragement amongst neighbors.
Congrats to our 2017 candidates who were awarded. See the information below for the 2018 application.
Our scholarship has been awarded each year to deserving candidates since 2009. To learn more about the current and past years winners and their commitment to volunteerism scroll down and select by year.
This scholarship will be awarded to two Cheshire residents who are seniors in high school and best exemplifies the mission and vision of Cheshire’s Lights of Hope through volunteerism and community service. IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO HAVE PARTICIPATED IN THE CHESHIRE’S LIGHTS OF HOPE ANNUAL LUMINARY EVENT TO APPLY FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP.
Cheshire’s Lights of Hope was established in 2005 by Don and Jenifer Walsh to unite our community, to light up our town and create a brighter world. Through acts of kindness and generosity, we encourage good citizenship and promote volunteerism while embracing and supporting local charities. Over $840,000 has been raised with the help of hundreds of volunteers to support many local charities including the Cheshire Community Food Pantry, Cheshire Youth and Social Services, the Petit Family Foundation and the Cheshire’s Light of Hope Scholarship Fund.
The Lights of Hope Scholarship Committee will specifically look at the amount and type of community service and volunteer work the candidate has done, but will focus on community service within the town of Cheshire as well as the number of years he/she participated in volunteer events. The impact this volunteer work has had on the community will be considered. The candidate should have maintained above average grades (2.5 GPA minimum) although all candidates with exceptional service records to the community are encouraged to apply. The recommendations, personal essay and resume will also be strongly considered by the Committee in its selection of worthy recipients.
Two $2,000 scholarships will be awarded to graduates in full time attendance at accredited colleges. These scholarships will be awarded directly to the students, half ($1000) by August 15, 2018 and the remaining half ($1000) upon the successful completion of the first semester of their college studies.
HOW TO APPLY
- The Cheshire’s Lights of Hope (CLOH) 2018 Scholarship - The application must be completed by ALL applicants. The Cheshire High School (CHS) Common Scholarship Application does not need to be submitted; only the CLOH 2018 Scholarship Application is required.
- As part of the CLOH 2018 Scholarship Application, each applicant must submit an essay (approximately 500 words) describing the local community service activities you have participated in and how those activities have impacted your life and the lives of others.
- SAT information is NOT required.
- Financial information is NOT required.
- Must self-report Grade Point Average (GPA) on application form. A cumulative GPA of 2.5 or greater is required to apply for this scholarship.
- Transcript of grades is NOT required
- A copy of your resume is required.
- Two letters of recommendation are required, at least one of which must be from an organization the volunteer has performed community service with, and neither of which should be from a relative of the applicant.
- All Cheshire residents, regardless of high school attending, are encouraged to apply.
- IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO HAVE PARTICIPATED IN THE CHESHIRE’S LIGHTS OF HOPE ANNUAL LUMINARY EVENT TO APPLY FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP.
- YOUR APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED IN FULL BY MARCH 15, 2018. Applications with support documentation may be submitted through the following methods:
- Via the Cheshire High School Counseling Dept. (CHS students)
- Electronically using the Scholarship Application request form below
- Mailed to the following address (must be postmarked by March 15, 2018):
Scholarship Committee Chair
Cheshire’s Lights of Hope
PO Box 553
Cheshire, CT 06410
* Microsoft Word or compatible Editor required.
** Adobe PDF Reader is required, get Adobe Reader for free here.
Online Scholarship Application Submission Form
This form allows you submit your application after you have obtained a copy of the Scholarship Application (above), downloaded it to your local computer, completed and saved, and then uploaded as an attached file (i.e. pdf, doc, docx, etc.) along with four other optional supporting documents. Fields with * are required.
Please allow up to 3 days for our Scholarship Committee to respond.
Cheshire’s Lights of Hope has selected Cheshire High School graduates Jessica Curello and Jonathan Mercugliano as the organization’s 2018 scholarship recipients, awarding each $2,000 in recognition of extraordinary community service and volunteerism. Recipients were announced on May 15 during the Cheshire High School Senior Awards Night.
Congratulations to our 2017 scholarship winners Helen Bian, who is attending the University of Connecticut, Honors Program and Abigail Abramson, who is attending the University of Pennsylvania.
Congratulations to our 2016 scholarship winners!